1975 Thompson Sidewinder 16' I/O
|Engine Description||- Mercruiser 140 engine needs replacement (hole in block). Upper end is probably still good. - Alpha I sterndrive is...|
Full DescriptionThompson Sidewinder 16' motorboat with Mercruiser 140 / Alpha I Sterndrive
- Completely stripped and restored in 2012. Boat was on the orignal trailer and most of the boat hardware was complete, minus the seats and interior finshes.
- Fiberglass was in good shape but wooden keel, floor, and transom were rotten.
- New keel (pressure-treated 2x6) was fiberglassed in place, new floor (marine-grade 3/4" plywood) was wrapped in fiberglass cloth and glassed in place, and a new transom (2 layers of 3/4"" marine-grade plywood) was installed with random-directional fiberglass mat and resin between all layers and vacuum-bagged for cure.
- A custom engine mount was welded and glassed into the hull.
- A new fuel tank was installed in the bow, along with fresh expanding foam beneath the bow.
- Original gel coat was faded so it was sanded down and a new base color and glitter flake layers were added in blue. Gel coats followed.
- Sterndrive was refreshed (new impeller, some seals) and engine carb was tuned.
- Engine was reinstalled and most of the original electrical system was reinstalled.
- Custom seats were made and installed, along with new carpet.
- Trailer was stripped and repainted, a new axle and wheels were installed, and a new bunk bar frame was added.
- The engine spun the piston connecting rod bearings during the 2012 season. The bearings were replaced along with new intake and exhaust valves.
- During the 2013 season, one of the connecting rods failed, cracking the block. The boat has remained outside under cover since then.
- Boat was recently cleaned for sale.
- Title clear and in-hand.
- Some stains on seat vinyl but no cracks or tears. 7/10
- Engine needs replacement.
- Sterndrive is in excellent shape but hydraulic system will likely need new wiring due to corrosion.
- Boat gel coat finish is uniformly bumpy but serviceable (operator error during spray). 5/10
- Trailer will need one marker light replaced (a new one is included).
- Some superficial rust on trailer frame.
- A large box of spare/original parts and gaskets are included with sale, as is the boat cover pictured.